Just sit on it and let it hatch
I've set my manuscript aside for a week or two. Ideally, I wouldn't look at it again for six months, but I do want to get it off to the agent. Taking a break from it will help me look at it with a fresh eye, and be more likely to catch mistakes or find a passage that needs to be rewritten.

But it's hard. I also don't want to dive right into the research for my next novel 'cause I don't want two different stories spinning through my head, so I'm catching up on reading the TBR pile, cleaning a little around the house (my porch looks fit for humans again) and assorted other small tasks that get neglected at the end of the book.

Oh, and I printed out a copy for myself in Courier rather than Times-Roman. When I go back to the book, it will be easier to catch errors if I use a font that's different from what I've been staring at for the last 18 months.

The remodeling continues, and so far, so good. No major crises. Yet.

Comments

Rebel Fan said…
A different font? hummm.
Good idea. See, I learn little things peeking here every now and then. Mind if I share this tip with my workshop (and the kids in the literary club at school)?
Carol
By all means, share the info. A copy editor I know likes Comic San Serif for that second reading, but I find I catch the most errors in Courier.

Tell the kids I said to keep writing! The three tips to being a successful writer are read a lot, write some, then write some more.

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance