Monday, September 26, 2011

Naming characters is tough.  I recall a reviewer complaining because of the similarity of names between Julius and Justin in Pirate's Price, so I've tried to be sensitive to it in subsequent novels.

When I typed in the name today of a heroine from a previous novel, I realized I'd best go back and change the heroine's name from my WIP, [working title] The Hot Pirate's Secret Baby, so I wouldn't confuse myself. Then the name I picked turned out to be similar to that of Daphne in my as-yet-unpublished Castaway Dreams. So I changed it again, and sounded it out to be sure it was alliterative and appropriate to time, place and class.

The new heroine from the WIP: Lydia Burke.  I tried saying it aloud, looked at it in print, verified that I do not have any heroines whose names begin with "L", nor major secondary characters named Lydia, and it all works.  Phew!  Thank goodness for Find&Replace!

1 comment:

Betty said...

It is hard. I read my current WIP's first three chapters to my kids and found out I had a preponderance of P names. One sentence just "popped" and not in a good way. Now I have to go back and decide who I want to change to what. Ugh.