Review--The Chemist

The ChemistThe Chemist by Stephenie Meyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I sometimes find myself out of step with other readers. Something everyone else loves leaves me feeling "meh", while I'll enjoy the hell out of a book that's getting less than stellar reviews.

This seems to be one of those times. There were parts of The Chemist that seemed over-the-top and strained my credulity, but no more so than plenty of other thrillers I've read and enjoyed. And I liked the premise, a lot. A scientist with a particular set of skills works for a super seekrit government black ops agency. She is a torturer par excellence, known as The Chemist.

But the chemist knows too much, and is on the run for her life, and when she's offered a chance to stop running she grabs it...and things get worse.

There's a highly improbable (but sweet) love story, an intriguing cast of characters, and a high stakes, fast-paced action scenario. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Many of the negative comments I read at this site were all about Ms. Meyer being the author of the Twilight series. This struck me as short-sighted and mean-spirited, and I'm not sure a male writer who crosses genres would have had the same crap shoveled at him. This book is very different from Twilight, and should be judged on its own merits. I would cheerfully read another suspense/thriller novel by Ms. Meyer, and applaud her willingness to try something different than the books that brought her fame and fortune.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!