Review--Cutting to the Chase

Cutting to the ChaseCutting to the Chase by Rose Phillips
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Rose Phillips captures the essence of being a teenager, where daily life can be a constant upheaval of emotions and changes. I found this far more engrossing than a dystopian saga about young adults, as Lizzy seems so very real. The choices she has to make, the relationships she navigates, all bring an intensity that is easy to overlook from the more adult perspective.

Lizzy is also a cutter. She needs the release of her razor blades, and the reader doesn't know how far she'll go to escape her angst. The book deals with so many teen issues: bullying, cutting, first love, being part of the out-group, mean girls, suicide, parents, and ethnicity. I loved it, and I couldn't put it down.

This is the author's debut novel, and I look forward to reading more from this promising newcomer.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance