Review--Pirate Women: The Princesses, Prostitutes, and Privateers Who Ruled the Seven Seas

Pirate Women: The Princesses, Prostitutes, and Privateers Who Ruled the Seven SeasPirate Women: The Princesses, Prostitutes, and Privateers Who Ruled the Seven Seas by Laura Sook Duncombe
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Enjoyable overview of women pirates through history. I'd read much of Ms. Duncombe's source material (Johnson's book of Pyrates, Fanny Campbell, the Cordingly, Stark, Konstam and Druett books) so there was little new here for me, but for a reader whose life isn't all about the pirates it's a good introduction.

I especially liked how Duncombe made it a point to include the non-European pirates. When I do presentations on women pirates I highlight the career of Cheng I Sao, who, as Duncombe points out, was the most successful pirate of all time.

These transgressive women of the sea continue to fascinate readers and another book focusing on women pirates is always a welcome addition to my bookshelf.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance