Sunday, February 25, 2007

I am such a history geek. I'd planned on spending yesterday curled up with the new Susan Elizabeth Phillips novel, Natural Born Charmer. Instead I picked up Six Frigates--The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll and I couldn't put it down. I find this stuff fascinating, particularly the period of the early US Republic. So much hinged on a few brilliant individuals. Yes, I admit it, I'm probably the only teenage girl who had a crush on Alexander Hamilton. But I love history.

So eventually I'll get around to SEP, but in the meantime, they're about to launch the Constellation, so I'll see all of you later.

2 comments:

L said...

I liked Hamilton until I learned he was cheating on his wife and let himself get shot by Burr. :(

Darlene Marshall said...

Yes, hubris will bring even the mightiest down. And while I don't favor men who cheat on their wives, I contrast, say, Richard Nixon with John F. Kennedy. One was known to cheat, one didn't. But I'm sure which one I'd rather have in charge.