I'm the first person to say research is best done in books or at a library, not via the internet, but I have to admit I'm enjoying the luxury of reading The Adventures of Roderick Random via Project Gutenberg while I wait to see if I can get it on interlibrary loan.

This novel was written by Tobias Smollett, a physician, and first published in 1737. It's a vastly entertaining look at life aboard ship in the age of sail. There's nothing like contemporary writing, whether it's Austen or Defoe or Smollett, to give you a true feel for the time and place you're researching.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wikipedia does not have an entry for Thomas Smollett.

Which proves your point thrice-fold.
My bad. It's Tobias Smollett, and there is a Wiki entry on him.

But in general, I think my point still stands. Maybe not thrice-fold though.[g]

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!