US ConstitutionImage by Thorne Enterprises via Flickr

I had jury duty today. This is the fourth time I've been called to the voir dire, and I've never been seated. I think it comes from knowing so many attorneys. In today's session I knew the state's attorney, the two lead defense attorneys, and the judge. And I'm married to an attorney who's active in the Bar, so I'm known in those circles.

But I'm more than willing to serve. I'd want bright people on the jury if I ever had to face one. I was especially impressed by the diversity of the jury pool in our North Florida court. We had university professors and retirees, students and homemakers, business people and laborers, all colors, all backgrounds. Oh, and an attorney in the pool, who not surprisingly, wasn't seated either.

During the down times I made notes on Castaway Dreams. One of the best things about being a writer is all I need is a pen and paper, and I can be working. I normally write directly at the computer, but I always have pen and paper with me in case I have a plot breakthrough. And when you're a writer, it's all grist for the mill, even spending a morning in the voir dire. While I've been called but never served, it's always an educational experience. And frankly, I feel good doing my civic duty.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance