Forresters Beach, New South WalesImage by Christopher Chan via Flickr

I was stuck today in a chapter. Simply could not figure out what I wanted to write next. So I stopped in the middle of a sentence, and started the next chapter.

I don't do that very often, but sometimes that's exactly what my work needs. Kind of a kick-start into the next scene, and then I can figure out more fully what preceded it.

I know there are writers who start with an outline and don't deviate, because the outline is the core of their story. Alas, I am not one of those writers. I prefer to compose chunks of prose and string them together when they're done. Ideally the finished product will appear seamless to the reader.

In the meantime, the new chapter is rockin' along, so I don't feel like I made a mistake. Sometimes that kick-start is just what you need to get going.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance