Jack unclenched his jaw far enough to say, "You're taking my money and my horse? You are nothing but a common thief!"
     "Sir, I protest! You are nothing but a common thief. I am an uncommon thief!"
     He played the last card of a desperate hand.
     "You can't do this! You're just a little girl!"
     "Are you angry someone my size was able to overcome you? I did lie about one thing. I am twenty years old, not a girl of sixteen. Here is a final lesson then for you to think about this evening--because it looks like you will have a great deal of time to reflect on your sins--treachery wins out over size and muscle almost every time, Sir Highwayman."
     With that she mockingly saluted him, and without another word turned on her heel and left.
     He yelled impotently at her to return and untie him, but as he heard his faithless mare's bridle jingle off into the distance, he settled for cursing her and her kind all the way back to Mother Eve.
--The Bride and the Buccaneer


It's the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day.  Take a moment to raise a glass, as I will later, to all the sisters who remembered the dictum that "Well behaved women seldom make history."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance