BLUEBERRY PIE

I was at the farmers' market this week and got carried away when I saw the lovely fresh blueberries.  Once I got them home I realized I'd never eat them all, so I tried making a blueberry pie.  It was a huge success and a couple people asked me for my recipe.  The original recipe called for 3/4 c. sugar.  I cut back to a scant 2/3 and next time I'll only use 1/2 c. because I like my fruit pies tart rather than overly sweet.  Note the pie takes four cups blueberries in two parts

1 (9 ") pie crust, baked
1/2 c. sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 c. water
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons orange liqueur (like Curacao)
3 cups fresh blueberries
Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)

1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and water.  Mix well, then stir in 1 cup blueberries.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.  Reduce heat slightly and continue to stir and cook until mixture is very thick.  Remove from heat.

2. Stir in butter or margarine, lemon juice and orange liqueur.  Cool.  Stir in remaining blueberries and chill one hour.  Spoon into pie shell and continue to chill for at least two hours more.  Serve.

Yummy!  I can imagine Julia from Smuggler's Bride making a pie like this with fresh Florida blueberries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance