Review--Assassin's Gambit

Assassin's Gambit (Hearts and Thrones, #1)Assassin's Gambit by Amy Raby
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As the rating indicates, I really enjoyed this debut paranormal/fantasy. The faux Roman setting was different than the usual medieval trappings, the heroine was intelligent, resourceful and not TSTL, and the hero was cunning and brave without being larger-than-life. In fact, as an amputee many sell him short thinking he can no longer be a warrior, but he proves a warrior's greatest asset can be his mind.

The other thing I liked about the book was it passed the Bechdel Test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_...) The two assassins, Ista and Vitala, have a complicated relationship that does not have a man at the center of it.  I liked that, a lot.

I'm looking forward to the next book in Ms. Raby's Hearts and Thrones series.

TRIGGER WARNING--discussion of and scenes of sexual assault may be difficult for some readers.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance