Review--Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1)

Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1)Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There were many things I enjoyed about this debut novel. I liked the Regency/Georgette Heyer feel of it, I liked the protagonists who were outsiders in their insular society, I liked the magic, but I think, most of all, I liked the strong women.

Prunella Gentleman is a rather pragmatic, one might even say cold-blooded, young lady who'd been dealt blows by life, and rather than fade into the genteel background she seized every opportunity, including trying to make a good match for quite mercenary purposes.

In addition, there were dragonesses who could teach the Patronesses of Almacks a thing or two, witches who don't take crap from any starched-up Englishmen, and society dames who manipulate events in their own subtle, but effective fashion.

As far as the men go, Zacharias Wythe is less cold-blooded and more of a dreamer as Sorcerer to the Crown, but even he realizes that his strong moral code is compromised and affected by the venal men around him. He'll have to be open to all sorts of things he never would have considered acceptable before (like women sorceresses) if he's going to keep his position, and his life.

The book is titled Sorcerer Royal #1, and I hope this means there will be more from Ms. Cho. It's a delightful start to a wonderful new series.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!