The Writer's Life

Writers get asked all the time, "Where do you get your ideas?" and my usual response is "Damned if I know. All of a sudden there are people inside my head and they're talking to me."

And that's what happened today. A perfectly ordinary morning walk, and somewhere between picking up my dog's poop and thinking "We have to save the swales", the idea for my next book came to me. Just like that. I could see the hero and heroine, I heard them talking, and I had enough material to make me want to dash back home with poor Yofi flying at the end of her leash like a dachshund shaped kite. Fortunately for Yofi, I've learned from experience to always carry a notepad with me on these excursions.

As soon as I got home I washed my hands, dashed over to the keyboard and created a new word processing file with notes for my next book. Not the one I'm working on now, my next book. The one where I was wondering "What the hell am I going to write after this one's finished?"

And no, I'm not going to tell you all about the next, next book. All I know for sure at this point is it's a nautical novel set during the Napoleonic Wars. More on this story as it develops.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!