Last night was the annual Bar Association dinner and we were there, not only 'cause my dear husband's on the local Bar's board, but because these events are entertaining. Really. I love hanging out with attorneys. They have great stories and most of them are smart and fun to be with.

I gave away a signed copy of Captain Sinister's Lady as a door prize, and much to my delight, the winner was a judge who's also a sailor! I personalized it for him, and made him promise to let me know how he liked it. He, in turn, invited me out for a sail and said anytime I needed info on sailing I could call him. So since I had him right there for research, I posed a question that's been going back and forth at a couple sites I frequent:

"The opening into a cabin, is it a hatch or a door?"
"Abovedecks or below?"
"Belowdeck."
"It's a door. A hatch goes into the deck or is an entrance to a hold."
"Aaaargh!" I said. "I didn't have any money riding on it, but I'd heard both were appropriate. See? I'm already taking advantage of your offer to help with research, Your Honor."

I do want to take him up on his offer of sailing, and I said I'd call on him when I needed information on time involved to sail up and down the coast, an issue in my WIP.

Next week we're off the state Bar convention, and for me, a pilgrimage to the Levenger's mothership. I just know when I walk in I'll find oodles of writing tools I didn't know I needed until that moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance