SEPTEMBER 11

This morning I realized I was doing the same thing as I did on that morning 10 years ago.  I was walking the dog around the neighborhood on a glorious September day.  In 2001 my neighbor came out of her house and said, "You'll want to turn on your TV when you get home.  A plane crashed into the World Trade Center."

None of us will forget that moment.  It is seared in our memories as much as President Kennedy's assassination was when I was a child, and Pearl Harbor was for my parents. There's not much I can say today that has not been said before, and said better by others.  I can offer this:  Ten years ago we were filled with horror over what we witnessed.  But in the years since September 11, 2001, I have seen many wonderful things--children grown, graduations, weddings, births, a spirit of volunteerism, and a continuing belief that we are capable of making our country great, if each of us is committed to the ideals that are America.

September 11, 2011 is an anniversary, but it is also a starting point, a point a which we can take stock and ask ourselves what we can do to honor those whose lives were lost, and make America better tomorrow than it is today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance