Naming characters is tough.  I recall a reviewer complaining because of the similarity of names between Julius and Justin in Pirate's Price, so I've tried to be sensitive to it in subsequent novels.

When I typed in the name today of a heroine from a previous novel, I realized I'd best go back and change the heroine's name from my WIP, [working title] The Hot Pirate's Secret Baby, so I wouldn't confuse myself. Then the name I picked turned out to be similar to that of Daphne in my as-yet-unpublished Castaway Dreams. So I changed it again, and sounded it out to be sure it was alliterative and appropriate to time, place and class.

The new heroine from the WIP: Lydia Burke.  I tried saying it aloud, looked at it in print, verified that I do not have any heroines whose names begin with "L", nor major secondary characters named Lydia, and it all works.  Phew!  Thank goodness for Find&Replace!

Comments

Unknown said…
It is hard. I read my current WIP's first three chapters to my kids and found out I had a preponderance of P names. One sentence just "popped" and not in a good way. Now I have to go back and decide who I want to change to what. Ugh.

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!