Review--Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre  Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I picked up my copy of Jane Eyre the other day to check on something, and found myself re-reading the entire novel. This is the first time I've re-read it since I began writing novels myself, and I find a new, deeper appreciation for Bronte's skill in crafting her heroine.

Jane Eyre has been one of my favorite novels since I first read the Classics Illustrated version as a child. When I read the novel as a grown woman, Jane is a heroine I can admire at a whole new level. She doesn't settle for what society tells her is best, she holds fast to her independence, her dreams, and sets her own course. It's much more than a gothic love story, it's a tale of a woman's growth and strength in a world where she was viewed as having limited options.

If you've never read Jane Eyre, check it out. It might surprise you.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!