Review--Hot in Hellcat Canyon (Hellcat Canyon, #1)

Hot in Hellcat Canyon (Hellcat Canyon, #1)Hot in Hellcat Canyon by Julie Anne Long
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another winner from Julie Anne Long as she moves from historicals to contemporaries. Scenes made me laugh out loud, and the characters came alive with all the color and personality we've come to expect from this talented author.

There were two things that stopped me from giving it five stars, much as I loved the story and the writing. The first is, I have a hard time with a contemporary romance where characters who are sexually active hop into the sack without any discussion of birth control or use of condoms to prevent disease. Carried away by passion the first time I can buy, but repeated sex acts without protection makes me twitchy.

The second thing is a personal pet peeve, although it used to be an industry standard: I don't like head-hopping where the scene shifts point of view between characters in the middle of the action.

However, Hot in Hellcat Canyon is an excellent summer read, hot like a June afternoon, refreshing like a dip in a hidden pond. I'm looking forward to the next book in this new series.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!