Review--Navy Maverick: Uriah Phillips Levy

Navy Maverick: Uriah Philips LevyNavy Maverick: Uriah Philips Levy by Donovan Fitzpatrick
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was doing some research and Commodore Levy's name popped up. I knew the general outlines of his story and as a youngster and adult read Juvenile biographies, but this was, naturally, far more comprehensive. Levy was a fascinating character, and his legacy of fighting anti-Semitism in the US Navy, ending flogging, and saving Monticello lives on.

I would have rated it higher, but I didn't find it as engrossing as other biographies I've read. It wasn't the subject matter but the writing I fault. However, the book is a valuable addition for any writer dealing with naval matters during the early 19th c.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance