Review--City of the Lost (Casey Duncan, #1)

City of the Lost (Casey Duncan, #1)City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was different, refreshingly so. Imagine an isolated community, almost a desert island (though it's in the remote Yukon Territory of Canada) where people who need to disappear, can. Some are victims. Some are perpetrators. All must escape their old lives, and, for a price, a certain mysterious corporation can make it happen.

Casey needs to get away. She's already killed one man--the book stars with that sentence--and now her past is catching up to the police detective. But when she gets to Rockton she finds her professional skills are the real reason she's there. Someone's killing people, and the sheriff--the only native of the town--needs more help.

This was a quirky mystery with interesting sociology overtones, and I found it a real page turner. I haven't read Ms. Armstrong's supernatural novels, so I came to this one with no expectations, and I found it a solid, satisfying mystery novel with intriguing characters. I look forward to more in the series.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!