I read an amazing novel this weekend, The Necessary Beggar, by Susan Palwick. It's part fantasy, part futuristic SF, and utterly captivating.

A young man commits a heinous crime, and under the laws of his land not only is he exiled, but his entire family joins him in exile. They're shuttled through a dimensional portal to another world--Earth, circa 2020. They're illegal aliens of the most dramatic sort, trapped without papers, skills, language or anything else that will help them survive. But survive they do, and the story of how this family adjusts, copes and loves one another is powerful and beautifully written.

There's a lovely bit of romance in here as well, and I highly recommend Palwick's wonderful story of emigration and growth.

Comments

Susan Palwick said…
Thank you, Darlene! I'm so glad you enjoyed my novel!
Thank you, Susan. It's a delightful experience to find a book that's so engrossing you can't put it down because you must know what happens next.

And I was half in love with Jerry myself by the end.[g]

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance