USS Porter undergoing sea trials.Image from Wikipedia
I was reading a news story today about modern day pirates taking a French luxury yacht off the coast of Somalia. As I scrolled down, this caught my eye:

"The U.S. Navy has led international patrols to try to combat piracy in the region. Last year, the guided missile destroyer USS Porter opened fire to destroy pirate skiffs tied to a Japanese tanker."

This made me grin, because Commodore David Porter was the head of the US Navy's anti-piracy campaign of the 1820's, and a character in my novel, Captain Sinister's Lady.

I believe Porter would have found it most appropriate that the ship named in honor of him and his naval hero son, Admiral David Dixon Porter, be used in the battle against today's pirates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!