Why Writing Is Good For You, Body and Soul

I've mentioned elsewhere that my treadmill finally broke down after 20+ years of excellent service. I'm anxious to get another, but haven't found a model I like that will fit through the doorways of my house. Seriously. So in the meantime, I do it the old fashioned way. I take a two mile brisk walk around out neighborhood each day.

I carry weights while I'm walking, to increase the benefit, burn more calories and help tone and strengthen my arms. I started with 2.5 lb. wrist weights, then increased to carrying a five pound weight one mile with a 2.5 lb. weight on the other hand, then switching off at the one mile mark.

I also carry a small notebook and a pen because as I mentioned in a previous post, rhythmic walking frees up my imagination. Today I was so caught up in thinking about my WIP, working title Castaway Dreams, that I was within sight of my house before I realized I was still carrying the heavy weight in my right hand. I'd never switched off at the one mile mark.

Now I know I can increase the weight I'm carrying, which will give me a more effective workout. And all because I was thinking about my writing. As I said, good for body and soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance