Review--The Rebel Pirate

The Rebel Pirate (Renegades of the Revolution)The Rebel Pirate by Donna Thorland
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Donna Thorland's second "Renegades of the Revolution" novel is another winner in dealing with a period of American history not appreciated nearly enough by folks on both sides of the pond.

I liked how this second novel of the American War of Independence dealt with small ships. Think of the 13 Colonies as a long island, because almost all commerce and travel moved on the water. Shipping was vital to the war effort and to daily life, and Thorland's focus on the pirates, privateers and merchantmen of New England is an important story. All American schoolchildren learn about Gen. George Washington and the land battles at Lexington & Concord, Paul Revere's ride, the winter at Valley Forge, the final battle at Yorktown, but not enough teaching material focuses on the need for sea power to win independence.

I also liked how Thorland's research library overlapped so neatly with my own.[g]

If I could, I would give this novel 4.5 stars. There was a plot twist near the end involving a character moving to the Rebel side just a little too smoothly for my taste. However, it's close to five stars because overall the story is so good.

If you enjoyed The Turncoat, I think you'll enjoy the second novel in the "Renegades of the Revolution" trilogy. I'm anxious to read the third novel in the series.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance