Counting your blessings

My car broke down yesterday, and after the first moments of confusion and panic I thought, "I am so fortunate."

This is why I felt that way:

It happened in the parking lot of a grocery store less than two miles from my home, meaning I could have walked home if I needed to. I didn't have a trunk full of melting ice cream since I hadn't gone grocery shopping. I'd finished all my appointments for the day. The dog had been walked within the past two hours and could wait a little longer at home. I didn't have a dog or kids in the car. It was a stunningly beautiful day, perfect for hanging around for the tow truck. I had a book with me and I was next to a used book store. I have a AAA app on my phone to call a tow truck. I can afford a yearly membership to AAA. I had a bottle of water with me. 

Most importantly, I knew if my car needed a new starter (the most likely scenario based on the sounds it wasn't making) I could pay for it. I wasn't one car repair away from destitution like so many other people.

I have enough to eat each day, I have a house with running water and a utility bill I can pay each month, I have a loving family and a darling dog and a successful career as a romance novelist.

So while I waited for the tow truck and for my husband to arrive and drive me home (another blessing--his office is six blocks from the parking lot where I was standing), I took a moment to pause during this season of giving and receiving, and reflect on how much I've received in my life, and how much more I can do to give back.

I hope all of my readers, potential readers, and everyone else out there who glances at my social media and blog posts has a season of fulfillment, of hope, of blessings, and of light during a dark time of year.*

Happy Holidays to all!

Darlene Marshall



*Except for my Aussie/Kiwi friends and readers who get to have lots of sunshine, short nights and a nice day at the beach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!