Review: Thank You, Jeeves

Thank You, Jeeves Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

TW: As much as I love Jeeves and Wooster, it must be acknowledged that these stories were written in the early 20th c. and reflect some of the racist attitudes of the time. Thank You, Jeeves includes casual use of racial epithets (there's a traveling minstrel show) and blackface as a plot device.

Having said all that, it was the racism that kept this from being a 5 star read for me. YMMV. I did love the story and the snappy writing, of course, because it's P.G. Wodehouse and it's the best butler ever, Jeeves, and his hapless employer, Bertie Wooster. This was an especially good story as it involves Jeeves and Wooster separating over an obnoxious musical instrument that Bertie's taken up. Despite that, you can be certain it will be Jeeves who will keep Bertie from bumbling too badly as he dodges marriage-minded papas, heiresses, clueless friends and Bolshevik servants.

I will likely read another Jeeves as a palate cleanser because in these days of COVID-19, sometimes a blast from the past, written in a period of post-pandemic, Great Depression and leading up to WWII, reminds me that this too shall pass.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance