Thank you for #voting

“If I climbed I could gather more gourds, and some fruit also.”
He looked at her sternly.
“There will be no climbing.”
Daphne stopped smiling and straightened her sore back, because she had been thinking about this all day.
“I am not sure I should have to always do what you tell me to do, or not to do, Dr. Murray. I know you are a natural philosopher and learned, but in America they let men vote equally, the stupid ones as well as the clever. Not that I am stupid, I am just not as learned as you are. While we are here on this island, just the two of us, we should be voting as equals, don’t you think?”
He looked at her in astonishment, setting down the gourd.
“I am amazed, Miss Farnham, that a properly brought-up Englishwoman would take the riff-raff in America as her model for appropriate behavior. No, this is not a situation calling for some anarchic form of democracy. Your vote is not equal to mine.
“Our situation here is akin to being aboard ship where there is a commander. I am he. You are the loyal crew which offers advice and opinions when called upon to do so. Do not argue, you know you must acknowledge that I have more skill, experience and authority than you do.”
“Not when it comes to climbing. If there was any climbing to be done, I’d be in charge.”

--CASTAWAY DREAMS (High Seas #2)


August 18 was Primary day in Florida and for the first time, I was a poll worker. I'd wanted to do this for years, but the need wasn't as urgent until now when I knew many of the long  time poll workers would be unable to work due to COVID-19 concerns. They're often older and either have health issues or live with someone with health issues, which puts them at much greater risk. 

I was assigned to be a ballot distributor in a rural precinct, so far out in the boondocks that part of the town is in the neighboring county. I knew it would involve being up by 4:30 in the morning to drive out there on a twisting, two-lane road that's scenic during the day, not so much in the middle of the night when there are big trucks roaring by. But it was my assignment, so off I went in my red, white and blue garb, including a new, sparkly "USA" shirt purchased for this occasion because we're encouraged to wear patriotic colors while working. 

Masks and face shields were available to the pollworkers and masks were on hand for voters. I wore both a mask and a face shield, which led to some "Are you ready for the hockey game?" jokes but made me feel better about being in an enclosed space with a bunch of strangers.

It was a long, grueling day. We have to set up for the polls to open by 7 a.m. and tear down after the last voter leaves after 7 p.m. I learned a dieting tip: You can't snack when you're wearing a face mask and face shield, and since I was at my post all day except for some brief breaks and lunch, I didn't eat any of the munchies I'd brought along. 

When I finally got home around 8:45 last night I immediately headed into the shower and bagged all my clothes to be washed, collapsing into bed around 10.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. We've seen what happened in other communities where polls were shut down and people had to travel long distances and stand in long lines to vote. While we are encouraging everyone in Florida to vote by mail, we still need to have our polls open and staffed, and if there aren't enough poll workers it makes the job that much more difficult. 

 So please, vote by mail, participate in early voting, or go to the polls on election day. If that's your choice, we'll be there for you, and thank you for voting!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!