Florida Living (again)


"...Most snakes’ll leave you alone if you leave them alone. The moccasin has a white mouth inside, which is why it’s also called a cottonmouth. And a cottonmouth is just flat-out ornery. It’ll come after you for sheer meanness.”
“I’m supposed to wait until I see inside the snake’s mouth to figure out what it is?”
“Try using your charmin’ ways on it. Now, the coral snake’s tricky, ’cause he’s got a cousin what looks like him, but ain’t dangerous. There’s a handy little way to remember which is which. If you see a snake that’s got red, black, and yellow bands, say to yourself ‘red on yellow, kill a fellow, red on black, friend of Jack.’” He looked quite pleased with himself for remembering the mnemonic.
"If I see a snake I’m unlikely to be thinking of nursery rhymes."
"I was just tryin’ to help. You goin’ to eat all that?”

--SMUGGLER'S BRIDE 


When I went into the kitchen this morning I found a note on the counter from my dear husband, informing me that last night when he took the dog out she spotted a snake on the porch (probably a cousin of this gal, who I saw earlier this year.)

I checked around the porch this morning, but no snakes were sighted, so when my husband came in for breakfast I brought him up to speed and said, "As long as it wasn't a coral snake, I'm not worried about it."

"I think it was just a garden snake," he said. 

"Do you know the mnemonic to spot a coral snake?"

"Something....something...black...something...Jack."

"Yeah, you a dead man," I sighed, and it's all the sadder because my husband is North Florida native. "It's 'red on yellow, kill a fellow, red on black, friend of Jack'."

Research, people! It could save your life...even if you're writing hot romance about smugglers on the Florida frontier!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance