Boskone 61, or "How I Spent My Winter Vacation"

I just realized I was having such a good time at #Boskone61 that I forgot to take pictures! Ah well, you'll have to use your imaginations. 

I'd missed most of last year's conference as a family emergency called me home, but this year all worked out well. My flights were on-time, the taxi line was short, and best of all, the weather cooperated. No snow or rain, and daily temps in the upper 40sF and evenings in the 30s meant we could comfortably walk to supper. I could even take a brisk walk out of the Westin Seaport now and then.

I arrived too late in the day on Friday to be put on panels, but I did get to Registration to pick up my credentials, including the information for my panel, Crossing Genres. I also saw lots of friends and acquaintances I only see at science fiction conventions. We've all aged in the 20+ years since I started attending Boskone, but we still love to hang out and party (albeit not all night--at least not some of us.) It was also a mask-mandatory event and I felt good about that too, since COVID and RSV and other unpleasant illnesses are still very much out there. Sure, I'm vaccinated to the hilt, but I'm also aware one can still get the disease and I have people at home I need to protect.

Friday night was supper with friends, then a tour of the art show. It was smaller than some of the past shows but I saw some new-to-me artists, which is always fun. 

Saturday I had a full day of panels I wanted to attend and a panel I was moderating. I spent part of the morning reviewing my notes for my panel, but took time to attend a memorial for noted editor and fan John Douglas, who passed away last year. It was bittersweet, as all of us who were privileged to know John miss him, but it was good to be with friends and John's widow Ginjer, sharing anecdotes and remembrances.

Later that morning I sat in on Writing the Fight Scene which was both a refresher for me and an opportunity to pick up some new tips and techniques. One thought I took away with me was a reminder that unless you're Inigo Montoya fighting The Dread Pirate Roberts, most fights are really fast, and having good cardio stamina helps.

I moderated the panel Crossing Genres with authors Laurence Raphael Brothers, Dana Cameron, Delia Sherman, W.B.J. Williams, and Michael Swanwick. It was a lively group, with lots of good information shared on how writers use their existing skills to broaden their writing range and attract new readers. We talked about using pen names when shifting into a different genre, like J.D. Robb instead of Nora Roberts, but we also talked about bringing existing fans over into something different. We were still discussing and answering questions right up to the end, a sign of successful convention programming.

I walked through the Dealers Room to see what books were being offered and to check out some of the other merchandise. We don't get as many book dealers as we used to, since so much business is transacted online, but Larry Smith Books was represented and they carry my novels. I made note of some books to purchase from them before the convention ended on Sunday, chatted with friends, and checked out the Art Show again. 

I find at these conferences it helps me pace myself if I can take a tea break and unwind in the afternoon, so I did that and enjoyed a rugelach brought for me from NYC by my bestie. It helped recharge me for the evening's dinner excursion and gossip session with my friends that I only see one or twice a year.

Sunday was unusual in that I had no programming scheduled. Oftentimes I'm on a 10 a.m. panel because the programming staff know I'm an early riser (even if the audience and other panelists often appear to be in serious need of caffeine.) I bopped into a few different program items, had breakfast with friends, even got outside for a walk since the weather was a balmy (for Boston in winter) snowless day. When the Dealers Room opened I purchased some books I'd been wanting from my favorite bookseller and talked about getting in touch when my next book is published (which I really, really need to finish!)

Post-convention I had supper with convention friends at one of their homes, and while we didn't watch the Super Bowl, we arrived back at the hotel just in time to watch the final five minutes and the overtime play on the giant screen tv in the lobby of the Westin. Even for a non-fan like me it was exciting! 

The weather continued to cooperate and I caught my flight home on Monday ahead of a huge winter storm, so all worked out well.

People often ask me why I attend Boskone and Worldcon. As my bio says in the convention program books, writing romance is my day job, but I'm a lifelong science fiction fan. These conventions allow me to meet some of my favorite authors, spend time with like-minded friends, shop for more books to add to my TBR bookcase, and broaden my own horizons as an author. It's even worth traveling to Boston in the winter, provided my return ticket says "Florida." I'm already looking forward to Boskone 62, which is scheduled for February 14-16 (Presidents Day weekend) 2025.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!