Getting Lost in a Good Book

I paused yesterday in my writing to check some notes, and pulled one of my research books off the shelf. It was Aristocracy and People--Britain, 1815-1865. When I looked up from my desk, two hours had gone by.

You can say what you like about the ease of research via Google and Wikipedia (and I do appreciate having those services at my fingertips), but there's nothing like a good book to get in-depth information for research. Sometimes it's information I don't even realize I needed, or can use, until I'm three or four pages beyond the facts I was checking.

I love my job. I get to combine my enjoyment of history with playing with my imaginary friends, like my new buddies, pirate captain Robert St. Armand and governess Lydia Burke:

[working title] THE HOT PIRATE'S SECRET BABY

            “I am so tired,” she said, looking down at her worn shoes. “Just kill me, or ravish me, or throw me out the window onto the street. I don’t care anymore.”
            He put his hand beneath her chin and tilted it up, studying her face in the moonlight, and then he sighed, releasing her.
            “Sit. Do not move until I return, otherwise I will do at least one of those things to you.” He paused as he turned for the door. “Maybe two.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!