I did get some writing done today, and I'm in the middle of a scene where my privateer is chasing down a slaver that just unloaded its human cargo and is now full of gold and silver. Good stuff. But I took a break and looked at all the stuff I'd cleared out of my pantry for Spring Cleaning last night and decided to experiment with a batch of Cleaning the Pantry Cookies.

I had the dregs of a box of 7-grain organic hot cereal, knowing I wasn't going to eat any more of it this year. And I had a half a bag of orange flavored dried cranberries. And some drinkable yogurt (kefir) from the farmers' market.

I intended to make a healthy scone, but ended up with reasonably tasty cookies. Here's what I did:

Preheat oven to 400F

Mix together in large bowl:

1 1/2 cups multi-grain hot cereal (think mushlike cereal)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon or nutmeg, if you like

In a separate bowl, mix together:
1 cup liquid yogurt or buttermilk
3 1/2 Tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 large egg
1/2 to 1 cup currants or raisins or dried cranberries

Pour all the liquid at once into the dry ingredients. Mix just until moist. Drop by large spoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets. These cookies spread out rather dramatically.

Bake for 15 minutes on the top rack, or in a convection oven. Cool on a rack. Enjoy!

And now, back to Lucky Jack, Sophia and their privateering in the Caribbean.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance