So last night I decided to do something about the weather, sort of. We have a weather radio, always a good idea when you live in an area prone to hurricanes, tornadoes, severe thunderstorms and lightning strikes. We were in the path of that storm that rolled through Louisiana, so I put it in our bedroom and went to sleep. The radio worked like a charm. It went off almost every hour during the night, telling me there was a severe thunderstorm watch in Baker, then Levy, then Suwannee, then Dixie, none of which affects me. Those are counties to the north and west of me.

I don't think I can fine-tune it to only go off if a tornado's headed for my street, since the alert zones are controlled by NOAA. And I know having it close to hand was the right thing to do, in case we were in the watch/warning area. Nonetheless, I feel like I gave up a good night's rest for no reason, especially since it didn't even start raining here until 6 a.m.!

But now it is raining rather steadily, which is a good thing. We've been overly dry and there have been some forest fires, not to mention the farmers complaining at the market about how little rainfall they've had. Also, the temperature is dropping, which is also good. It climbed up into the humid low-pressure 80's yesterday and I discovered my bedroom air conditioner is in need of repair. Since I won't need it again this week based on the forecast, that gives me an opportunity to have the repairman come out at his convenience and mine, rather than in an August emergency.

Tomorrow should be rainy and cooler, but it looks like we're out of the range of that storm that devastated the midwest and Louisiana.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!