Review: The Sabbath: Its Meaning for Modern Man

The Sabbath: Its Meaning for Modern Man The Sabbath: Its Meaning for Modern Man by Abraham Joshua Heschel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In an age of constant bombardment by texts, tweets, email and news cycles it has become more important than ever for me to take some sacred time to renew myself. It's oftentimes hard to explain what it means to observe the Sabbath to the degree I do, having to turn down opportunities for booksignings, attend events, go places and do things, and when I feel stressed by these choices I like to re-read this slim little volume to ground myself anew.

It's been said that if some religions have a catechism, Jews have a calendar. The Sabbath (Shabbat) is a gift that we too often don't appreciate and Rabbi Heschel (z"l) helps put that gift in perspective in a way that all people an understand.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance