There was a rush of air overhead and Oliver ducked reflexively, avoiding a collision with a flashy green parrot swooping down to perch on St. Armand’s shoulder.
“Good evening, Roscoe. Who’s a good boy?”
The parrot ruffled his wings as Turnbull passed over a handful of nuts he’d pulled from a pouch at his waist.
“That’s a lovely par—”
“Don’t say it!” Turnbull and St. Armand said at the same time.
St. Armand reached up to scratch the bird under his beak. “This is Roscoe, the ship’s cat. Who’s a good kitty? Who’s a good boy?”
Oliver could deal with being shot at, beaten, evicted from a brothel, kidnapped by pirates, but there were some situations he was not willing to accept. “I realize I may not survive this voyage in one piece, but I must speak my mind, Captain. That is not a cat.”
“When I want your opinion, I will tell you so. Roscoe’s a prime mouser and a valuable member of the crew. Last I checked, your greatest value to me may be in selling you to the anatomists. Do not confuse our ship’s cat about his duties aboard this vessel.”

--What the Parrot Saw


Today is #WorldParrotDay, a day to celebrate these smart, sassy animals. I've always wanted to write a pirate novel with, of course, a parrot and I was delighted to have Roscoe swoop into the manuscript for What the Parrot Saw (High Seas #4). 

If you've ever considered purchasing a parrot, please do your research first. They're not easy pets to own (one reason why I stick to dachshunds) but for the right person they're great animal companions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance