Review--Love is Red (Nightsong Trilogy #1)

Love Is Red (Nightsong Trilogy #1)Love Is Red by Sophie Jaff
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I enjoyed the writing in this novel, the lyrical, colorful use of language. I enjoyed the suspense, though many of the scenes are not for the squeamish. I liked the used of second person in the chapters describing the serial killer.

The part that left me cold was the "woo woo" aspect of it. It felt too much like a murder mystery/suspense novel wrapped around a fantasy story with deus ex machina touches toward the end that made it unwieldy. Dan Simmons, Stephen King and Shirley Jackson do this kind of book very well, but it takes a deft hand to make it work.

SPOILER ALERT










Also...





I knew who the killer was from the moment in the museum, and I knew it wasn't the other supposed killer because that's just too damn obvious.






So I'll look for the next book from Ms. Jaff to see where the story goes, and that in and of itself is a recommendation.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance