Review--Night Hawk

Night HawkNight Hawk by Beverly Jenkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was in the mood for a western, and remembered this one sitting forever on my ebook TBR virtual shelf, so I dusted it off and settled in.

It was a good choice. Ian "Preacher" Vance is a notorious and feared bounty hunter, who also carries a US Deputy Marshal star. He's tasked with bringing Maggie Freeman, a half-black/half-Indian woman to trial for her slaying of a man trying to sexually assault her. Of course, nothing is quite as it seems, and Preacher and Maggie find themselves fighting off lynch mobs, angry-exes and general mayhem on the road to true love.

Preacher was all we'd want in a Western hero, but I loved Maggie. She doesn't just get mad, she gets even, and she's not about to let life beat her down. She's a perfect match for Preacher.

Ms. Jenkins brings the old West alive in all its colors, a refreshing change from the white-washing of television shows and movies in the 20th century. I look forward to reading more of her work.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

Happy #LaborDay!

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance